rediscovering eden
Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the bright and morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart
Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours
Who Am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
and watch me rise again
Who Am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me
whom shall i fear
whom shall i fear
i am yours
dailies
Tuesday, September 4, 2007
-2:07 PM
The first day of school. Get ready, this is going to be a long one. In one word: Wow. In many words:Canadian high school was great! Or at least my first day of it. When I got dropped off and started walking towards the school, I saw a huge mass of people crowded at the front of school, gathered in small groups and catching up with their friends. I did not know ANYBODY there so I kinda felt out of place and I felt pretty nervous at that point of time. I squeezed past people and made my way into the school. Thankfully, I had arranged to meet my friends from church and they took me around the school, showing me the classrooms and introducing me to people along the way. When it was time for first period (at 9:15), I entered my class, asked an Indian girl whether the seat next to her was free and promptly sat down. THe first class, called Homeroom, was when the teacher (Mr. Deruyter, also my Biology teacher), introduced himself. Oh, and we had to stand up for the national anthem that played on the loudspeaker but we didn't have assembly. We just stayed in class. THey have announcements over the sound system as well. Anyway, the atmosphere was very friendly and easygoing. Teachers and pupils treat each other as friends and they joked around, asking about each other's summers. He gave out our lockers and completed some other administrative stuff (like collecting forms). After the bell rang, it was my free period. I roamed the library for a bit before heading down to the cafeteria for my home-prepared sandwich. The cafeteria is what I imagined a high school cafeteria to be like. Long tables like rows of benches. It took quite a while to get used to the school as it is pretty big and there are many staircases. After lunch, I walked up for my English class. Everybody filed in and sat on the chairs which had desks attached to them. Sorta like what we have in Lecture theatre but they are wooden instead of plastic like the ones in MGS. (and they can't fold down). The teacher briefed us on expectations, course outline and asked us to fill out a student info sheet. She also arranged our seating.After English, I felt like going to the toilet, so after pacing up and down hallways searching for one, I finally found one (it's kinda weird having both girls AND boys toilets because i'm so used to just having girls). The toilets are reasonably clean and they are no squats like those in Singapore. However, they do have weird sinks. There is a huge metal pole in the middle and a basin that surrounds it. Everyone washes their hands around the basin and there is no individual sink. I couldn't figure out how to turn the water on. I walked around the pole a few times, tried waving my hand under the spray to see if it was automatic and even tried pressing the pole. Finally, I gave up and walked out to ask some girls if they knew how to use the tap. They came in to the toilet with me and showed me how to press this lever on the floor that turned the tap on. Really weird, if you ask me. I had French following that. I really miss French so it was nice to hear some french again. She went over the course outline and spoke some simple french to us. She then gave us a worksheet of useful phrases in french and we went through the phrases one by one, translating them into english. I like French :) My last period of the day was Strings. This class was pretty loud as everyone knew each other really well. They were constantly joking and commenting aloud in class. The strings teacher informed us about the upcoming performance dates and assigned us violins, so that we would not need to lug our violin to school everytime we had strings (violins can get pretty heavy). When the bell rang at 2:10p.m. (usually school ends at 2:45 but this week is a special schedule), everybody rushed out - freedom! I walked out too, breathed in the fresh air, feeling light and happy inside. My first day of high school.