rediscovering eden
Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the bright and morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart
Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours
Who Am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
and watch me rise again
Who Am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me
whom shall i fear
whom shall i fear
i am yours
dailies
Sunday, September 9, 2007
-6:45 PM
My Reflections on the first week of school
This past week at school has been of particular significance to me, as it is my first time in a high school in Canada. My family emigrated from Singapore to Waterloo during the summer and I have been adjusting to the many differences that exist between the cultures.
I used to attend an all-girls' school in Singapore and shifting to a co-ed school has been refreshing as well as interesting. Being in a single sex school does keep you more focused and on-task, but having boys in the class adds laughter and a brief relief from the otherwise terse, academic atmosphere. It is important not to get too distracted or to stray too much off-tangent but of course, achieving balance is key and having the privilege of learning in both systems has assisted me in attaining that equilibrium.
Another major difference is where priorities are placed in education. In Singapore, it is very important that a student do well academically and teachers are pressured to finish the assigned topic in the designated time. However, I found in Canada, the teachers are more laid-back and can therefore spend time exploring issues of interest or even give time in class to do homework. More emphasis is placed on developing the other aspects of the child, in the social and physical realm. This is evidently shown in the one-hour lunch breaks in which students can socialise and talk to friends, gym three times a week and the many sport teams which students are encouraged to join.
In this previous week of school, I have found myself fitting in and settling down quite well. Before, I used to complain that no one came to talk to me or be friendly to me but when my whole perspective changed and I realised that I needed to go out and talk to people, I started to make many more friends. I needed to take the initative to talk to others and not merely play a passive role and expect people to make the first move. With this principle in mind, I hope the rest of my years in high school will be filled with laughter and fun with friends. After this first week, I am definitely looking forward to the rest of school!
Vivienne Tam
p.s. as you have guessed, this is my english homework!