rediscovering eden
Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the bright and morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart
Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours
Who Am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
and watch me rise again
Who Am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me
whom shall i fear
whom shall i fear
i am yours
dailies
Sunday, September 30, 2007
-1:16 PM
Yesterday, as well as the day before, I took part in a concert of the Youth Orchestra. In the dressing room, while I was mulling around, I saw many girls my age putting on makeup (eye liner, lip gloss, mascara). Later, I found out that they did this every day of their lives! It was kind of a culture shock to me because in Singapore, we never really put on any makeup. And by the way, for those who are interested, in high school, I do see many couples holding hands and hugging in the hallways. I found out from my sister that asking girls out and relationships start in Grade 7. Our high school also holds many dances, in which girls and boys dance together (it's not really dance, all the girls do is put their arms around the boy's neck and sway back and forth). I heard that a girl and a boy met during the dance and became attached after that. It's kind of foreign how people can treat relationships so lightly. For me, relationship is commitment. THe concert last night was lots of fun. Before each song, the conductor introduced it and told some jokes/stories concerning the song. He even told us what was going to happen in the song. For example, for this one song, he informed us that there would be a clarinet cadenza in the middle and if the clarinet played more than he was supposed to, the clarinetist was going to be in deep trouble at the end. When it came to the end of the cadenza, the conductor lifted his baton for the rest of the instruments to enter. However, the clarinetist continued playing! I think it was all pre-planned because some players in the orchestra got out of their seats and acted frustrated, like, "I'm leaving this place!". THey started to pass the balloons around with their bow and acted like they were having a party. People started to chat or play games between themselves. One lady even went backstage and got out a tea tray and started to serve everyone tea. All this while, the clarinetist went on and on. Everybody was laughing at the pandemonium. FInally, everyone went back to their seats and continued with the rest of the song. During one song, the conductor permitted people to whistle and clap because it was a very familiar song. And during another, he turned on the house lights so that people could read the lyrics in the program and sing along. The song was 'jerusalem' from the movie chariots of fire. It was really funny because midway, he turned his back to the orchestra and started to conduct the audience like we were the choir or something. All in all, it was a very enjoyable night. vivienne