rediscovering eden
Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the bright and morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart
Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours
Who Am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
and watch me rise again
Who Am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me
whom shall i fear
whom shall i fear
i am yours
dailies
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
-2:16 PM
Hey everybody! It's me again. Yes, me, the one who never posts. I know, I know.
Well...seems like my sister has told you her side of the story...but it's time to hear mine :)
Hmmm...I stopped back in fall. Wow. That was a long time ago. It's winter now, as you all know, and we have at least a foot of snow! It gets dark at 5.00pm nowadays. It's also the winter holidays now. But let's go back to when it was still school... (this sounds like a recount!)
Where should I start? Class is as usual. I love school, because it's essentially free time. Because I'm in a special class, so our teacher mainly supervises us - sort of what you would call individual learning. He just assigns us projects and leaves us to complete them. He also gave us a reading assignment - WAHOO! - which then gives me an excuse to read. Which I haven't been doing much of lately.
I joined the girls' volleyball club. Even though I have to go early in the mornings, it's a lot of fun. When we first started the unit, I was really embarassed because - no offence, but the volleyball in Singapore isn't very good. It's isn't the proper kind. Everything I did in the volleyball unit, it was my first time doing it! Everyone else had done it in elementary school, so most of them were really good at it. What's more, because two classes have gym together, we were playing against a team from another class. The guys in that team were really rude and arrogant. Whenever we missed a ball or messed up a serve, they would cheer and make rude comments and laugh...you get the idea. I had no idea how to serve. I took a one minute crash course before I had to. My first try went into the net. SO did my second. But my third try was SUCCESSFUL!!! YAY! I was elated. But I was always too scared to go for the ball for fear that I would miss it. Most times I just stood there and let other people do the rest.
Volleyball club was really fun though. I had lots of opportunities to practice my skills, and I slowly improved. We went to a game at another school - and actually won some of the games! It was so much fun. There was this cute guy refereeing, so a bunch of the girls kept on trying to get his attention. This was pretty new to me. I thought it was the other way around!
We also had a winter arts night which consisted of an art display and a concert. To tell the truth, the general level of music is higher, but the bands are really bad. Well, most of them have only been learning for a year so...I guess it's understandable. Everyone basically plays as loud as they can. I miss band back in Raffles Girls'. The standard is so much higher!
I was performing in five different items - Gr. 8 band, 8C7 (that's my class) band, choir, senior orchestra and a string ensemble. As a result, I was continually rushing around! I liked it though, it was exhilerating. After the concert ended there were refreshments, where everyone lingered around and talked. I rushed around talking to my friends and taking pictures. My dad was talking to his colleague - whom he talks a lot about - who I found out is the father of a guy in my gym class. It was kinda awkward though cause we were almost obliged to talk to each other and I didn't know what to say.
I go to my sister's high school for math enrichment, so I got to participate in the Christmas contest they were holding. Each class had to answer trivia about Christmas - some of the questions were pretty interesting. And we had to decorate our door. The winner would win a pizza party! Everyone in my class was pretty sporting. But *sniff* we didn't win anything.
We also had candy grams - send a message to someone with a candy attached to it. I got one unknown - without a name on it. I'm still wondering who sent it to me...
Our school had Secret Santas. It was so much fun, because you had to leave a trail of clues for your Secret Santa. You had to pick a name - I got a girl, a really nice girl at that thankfully (it's much easier to give a girl presents - I think!) - and leave a trail of clues leading up to the final gift. I racked my brains thinking of ideas but it was so much fun getting messengers to deliver messages, hiding clues and watching your 'child' look for it...
We also had Secret Santas in our youth group. I got a big chocolate bar and a gift card - usually what a guy would give. My Secret Santa was a guy. We also had a mini Christmas party with the senior group - Praylude - and the junior group, Junior, together. We played Cranium - ever played that before? I remember during the exam time at RGPS, a bunch of people - So Phia, Alethea, Deborah - would play it. It was pretty fun, kinda hard to play with such a big group though.
In gym at school, we also had a square dancing unit. A problem with this was that girls had to pair up with guys, which some people did not want to do. I solved this problem quickly by pairing up with a girl (there are more girls than guys in my class). Otherwise, it was pure fun. I laughed so hard the entire time. We learned all kinds of dances and moves - from the 'dip and dive' to the 'do si do' - we should have a dance unit in the Singapore system! On the last day of school, we had to participate in a dance competition where you would present your dance. Everyone had to have a slight intro in the beginning, and our class decided to do a singing competitions - Centennial Idol. I did this duet thingo with my friend and square dancing partner Carling - she being a really ridiculous back up dancer and me singing "I'll Remember You" by No Secrets. It was hilarious.
We also had a recognition assembly in which you were recognised for participating in clubs and teams. You get winits (an award) for every participation which you stick on a certificate.
Auditions for the musical are also starting. We're doing a 80s sort of musical called Groovy. It's the hippie era, so it's gonna be interesting.
Now I'm continuing from my sister's entry. We celebrated Christmas late- on the 27th - with the opening of presents and stockings and a hearty Christmas dinner. We also went out for a movie(The Great Debaters-it's really good! ) at Little Rock with the neighbours across the road. We sang all kinds of songs - it sounded great because different people were doing different harmonies - and were all in tune!
We departed on the 28th for Branston. Because Auntie Rosemary's mom, Grammy Thomas had a timeshare apartment, we got to stay there, at this really nice resort for free! We only spent two night there though - the first night we went out for a show: The Haygoods. It was a delightful evening. The Haygoods are a Christian family of 7 brothers and 1 sister, most of whom can play multiple musical instruments and sing AND dance proficiently. It was amazing to watch.
Okay, I'll leave it to my sis to finish the story. I'll be back!
Janelle